My Blog List

Friday, August 5, 2011

THE 200 BEST SONGS OF THE YEAR 1970

When I was a kid in Circleville, I used to love listening to WCOL-AM 12:30 radio. I have a big stack of their old Hit Surveys. The songs and vids came from those lists. I had to leave a few of the more unctuous ones out. But not all. 
    Ah, twas glorious 1970 and I was affixed to my radio, glued in sperm-like permanence to the trusty handled machine that brought forth the glorious waxings of my local DJs. Wes Hopkins on the morn ing drive time, Jackson Armstrong in the afternoon, with Lou Henry and Steve Bayliss rounding out the day. The hits were all in heavy rotation, the commercials were an insult to puberty, and not enough of the music avoided that deeply manufactured sound. And yet it was still rapturous as all hell, just the penultimate audio vision of paradise found, lost and regained. Black, white, Latin, oldies, newies, anti-war, pro-war, civil rights, uncivil repression, hard rock, soft sounds, bubblegum, psychedelia, funk, pre-disco, soul, blues: Jeez, it was all there, nice and meshed together, just the way Billy Preston planned it. It won't be quite the same as being there, but it'll be close. 



Click on. 











The Kinks: Apeman
THE MC5: Kick Out The Jams
Freddie Hubbard: Red Clay
Alice Coltrane: Blue Nile
Elton John: Burn Down the Mission
Honey Cone: Want Ads
The Who: Pinball Wizard
Eric Anderson: Thirsty Boots
Gene Ammons: Jungle Strut
Rod Stewart: Gasoline Alley


No comments:

Post a Comment